How often have you been in an awkward situation by asking someone a question?
You ask someone a question,the person answers and then you realise that your foot is in your mouth!I was in a similiar situation today.
I was playing with a bunch of highly enthusiastic kids.One of the kids was very naughty and mischievous.She was climbing on compund walls with as much ease as tarzan climbing trees.Since I was taken over by my sometimes over-protective nature,I tried talking her out of her monkey acts.I told her,'hey kid,you are a sweet child.Am I not treating you nicely?So do listen to me.Dont climb on the wall,else you may hurt yourself.Whom do you listen to at home your mom or your dad?"
She replied saying "I dont listen to my dad.I listen to my mom"
I said "Okay,that is good.Treat me as your sister and listen to me.Now if you go home wont you listen to what your mom says?"
She replied saying "My mom is no more"
I went numb.I realised I was dealing with a very sensitive issue here and I rather have not asked her any kind of personal questions.There were also thoughts in my mind about the importance of a mother and her role in nurturing and raising a child.
It is said "Children are the sum of what mothers contribute to their lives. --Unknown
I remember another incident when my friend saw her colleague with his head shaven.
She asked him "Hey,did you shave your head in Tirupathi?".
He replied with a straight face, "No! My dad passed away".
I can empathise with what she would have gone through after hearing his reply.
I should refrain from asking people personal questions and not put them or myself in any kind of awkward situation.I usually dont ask anyone questions about their personal lives unless that person is close to me on an emotional level.But with kids its different.I want to be there for them, know about them and just do something to make them smile.And I hope I will be able to do this.
Today's incident has created an impact which can never be erased by time.
3 comments:
I shaved my hed just for a change. You can ask me anything about it.. :-)
Tarle!
Donno who said this, but Me finds it quite true: "What binds people the most is not times of prosperity, but times of hardship, times of despair".
My personal opinion - Me thinks what one has to develop is how to hold hands and walk long those who are facing those tough times.
Me thinks that is the essence of what they term - human spirit.
Just a thot...
Me.
Post a Comment