
Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner is the first English novel by any Afghan.
A novel which is the story of Amir and Hassan.Amir from a wealthy background and Hassan from
an economically low background and from different communities,who call themselves the Sultans of Kabul.A story of how Amir uses Hassan as a shoulder he can lean on,yet doesnt call him as his friend.They fly Kites together and Hassan always protects Amir,infact he is ready to even take on a bullet for Amir's sake.As Hassan says "A thousand miles for you".It takes you on a journey through his childhood,to his present,and when he comes to know of the truth that was hidden from him all his life,that hits you hard and makes one helpless.
Couple of lines I really liked from the KiteRunner:-
Make morning into a key and throw it into the well,
Go slowly,my lovely moon,go slowly,
Let the morning sun forget to rise in the east,
Go slowly,my lovely moon,go slowly.
--
He shrugged.Coughed again."I dont think I'll see the end of this summer," he said.
"Let me take you home with me.I can find you a good doctor.They're coming up with new treatments all the time.There are new drugs and experimental treatments,we could enroll you in one.."I was rambling and I knew it.But it was better than crying,which I was probably going to do anyway.
He let out a chuff of laughter,revealed missing lower incissors.
"I see America has infused you with optimism that has made her so great.That's very good.We're a melancholic people.We Afghans,arent we?
--
This is so true of most of the people who have left their home countries and made America their home.Isn't?
--
No crime is a sin other than theft.Every crime is a form of theft.
--
What am I doing?I rather not to be writing anything more than saying that its the second book in a row that has had a very powerful impact on me.
The first being Shantaram.
1 comment:
Nice review! Will definitely read this book soon!
Post a Comment