An American colleague who is also a very good friend of mine sent me this mail this morning.
Please accept my kind wishes for a Happy Republic Day.
Take time to be proud of your Culture, your Country, and your own achievements.
I am very honored to know you and respect the role you have, not only as my colleague, but as the ambassador of your great and noble country.
Please enjoy your weekend festivities, reflect on how precious and valuable life and friendships are. Also, please share my wishes with your co-workers and families.
To this date, I never took pride in celebrating 26th January as our Republic day. It was just another holiday and felt bad if it happened to be a Sunday. This mail has put me in a thoughtful mood about my own beliefs and practises.
Time to do something or atleast become aware!
1 comment:
R-day, with its display of our military might, strangely reminds me of the Victory Parade in Orwell's 1984. Only a thin line separates patriotism and jingoism, and I am tempted to classify R-day in the later category.
Post a Comment