Friday, August 01, 2008

"These incidents are being sponsored by Uncle Sam, He wants to attack us", said my friendly neighbour who is from across 'the' borders. She comes from a small town which is the daily target for such kind of jobless people. I was telling her about the situation back home in Bangalore, Ahmedabad and Surat. Now are these
fellows trying to target our exports? IT, Diamonds? Whatever it is, it is the innocent people like you and me who are the affected.


Sitting miles away I shivered as I read the news and immediately dialled my parents. As expected the landline networks were jammed and I could not get through. I skimmed through the headlines of every news website that I could think of to know of updates. 'A garment factory worker' was dead said one of the websites. Is this all matters? It's a loss to her family and dear ones that she was no more.And that she fell victim to someone else's evil doings for no fault of hers. But why is it important to specify her work identity? Why cant it be said like 'A lady became a martyr in today's blasts and we as a nation mourn the loss to her family'.

And then Mr. CM giving statements that the opposition was trying to taint his government. Dude, the city was in chaos and everybody was panicking. And all you could think of was your government?

I miss being at home. I do dislike the unprecedented growth and improper infrastructure, but home is where the heart lies and my heart lies in Bangalore. My earliest days of fear was when there were rumours that the assailants of Rajiv Gandhi were hiding in the city. There could have been anywhere.My friends and I used to look at a deserted house on our way to school and sincerely believed that they were hiding in that house.

Imagine now, life sure does go on and people might put the blast incident at the back of their minds, like we did about the IISC shootout too. I hope and pray that all these untoward incidents magically stop and they leave all of us in peace. And specially when you are so far away from home you realize what it is to be in your own country and amongst your own people, family and friends. The craving is just a little more!

No comments: