Monday, November 26, 2007

The First Rain Of The Season
It was yet another hectic day at work. Just before the penultimate hour, my mind craved for a shot of caffeine to carry on. With a cup of coffee in my hand, I went out to the balcony. As cool breeze kissed me all over, a sigh of relief spread across my face. And then, a thunder in the sky made me forget my work pressure and triggered a mischievous smile. With no further delay my fingers dialed her number, and it was picked up even before the first ring rang completely. We both spoke instantaneously in rhythm, "IT’S GOING TO BE THE FIRST RAIN OF THE SEASON" and then smiled again. In no time we decided the time and place to meet up.I went back inside to work but my mind was somewhere else. After finishing the bare minimal work, I stepped out of office.
Heading towards the pre-decided place, I kept the flap of the helmet open in order to feel the breeze. The clouds were dark and the thunderstorm could be heard. My face broke into a non-ceasing smile as I glanced high above to see the clouds. This had been a hectic week and the worst summer time in the history of the city. Since I was bugged of spending time with her inside an air-conditioned mall or a restaurant, the excitement to be out in the open was at its zenith. The cloudy weather brought along a fresh air of romance and anxiety.
As I drove past a temple my eyes fell on the red roses placed on the temple steps. It was a great feeling as all the incidents that evening was beautiful and charming like a red rose. I approached the old lady who was selling the roses and picked one for my girl. She said it costs Rs.15. Suddenly someone came and said "Champa devi, so finally it’s going to rain and smiled". I was happy internally too about this rain and was very anxious to meet my girl. Hurriedly, I paid the old lady, did not even wait to collect the change and went sailing on my bike floating, being lost in vivid thoughts.
She was just a turn away I thought. There she was, holding her dupatta and salwar from blowing away with the wind. The moment I stopped the bike no words were spoken, there was just an exchange of smiles. I gave her the rose and she hopped on the bike, blushing away to glory. Probably, the almighty was waiting for this very moment and blessed us with pleasant showers, the showers of the First rain of the season. We rode further enjoying the ultimate ride. The smell of mud, children coming out and playing in the rain, the greenery were at their pleasant best. What a joy it was!Later, I dropped her to the hostel and reached my place. I changed my clothes and cuddled into the rug to stay warm. Sleep encompassed me even before I could know. It had been a long time since I had slept with so much of peace.
When I woke up in the morning, the weather was chill. I looked out of the window and the climate was at its romantic best. As per my usual routine, I went out into the hall, picked up the newspaper, opened the window, and began reading the newspaper. The headlines read "The first rain of the season hit the city" and carried the stories of joy, relief and dance. I smiled. Almost the entire front page was related to Lord Varuna’s blessings on us. At a corner of the page, the headline "an old lady washed away" struck to my eyes. The news item said that the lady had a shop on the pavement above a drainage canal. And due to the heavy rainfall last night, she felt it safe to stay at the shop instead of rushing to her hut. However the water level in the drainage had risen and overturned the pavement because of the pressure created. She drowned in the drainage and was washed away to be found dead far away. Her name was mentioned as Champa Devi and she used to sell flowers next to the temple.
It was sad, my smile gradually sunk and happiness slowly faded like the setting sun at dusk. There were other stories on traffic jams, trees uprooted, and people falling ill due to rain borne illnesses.
After all, it was the first rain and the city was not completely prepared for it. The first rain had brought joy to some and sorrow to others, it had made some smile and some cry, it had made some refreshed and had left some devastated.
Outside there was a thunder in the sky, and it started to pour, this time more heavily. My cell phone rang, my girl friend called up to know if we could meet now. I peeked out of the window and replied ‘Yes, whenever the rain stops’.

No comments: