Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thoughts...

It was yet another fine day and I was happy (may be because the climate was cool for a change). Anxiously, I unhooked the cordless and dialed her number. “Trin Trin” rang the bell. I heard the magical sound that I so longed to hear, “heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey pal” from the other end (now a days there is no surprise, your number gets displayed on the cell)…How are you? Why are you late in calling???? She sounded very innocent when she spoke that way, for a moment I lost myself imagining the kind of faces she could be making. Well! I had to get back to my senses soon. Had I been more silent her magical words would have run around in my head. As we began chatting we became lost in our own world.
So far so good, but that didn’t happen. As I said earlier, I was in a good mood and hence was lost in her thoughts. But reality was something different. “Trin Trin” rang the bell.”heyyyyyyyyyyyy pal..? u there???????? Hello????????????Are you there??????? I can’t hear you????” Well! This is one pain in an overseas call. Half the time is spent in exchanging hi/hello. It was the beginning of the end of my good mood. I tried calling again, but ended with the same result…There is a saying that goes “when you need something the most you don’t get it” but I feel it is the other way round at times,” when you don’t get something, you feel that it’s the most needed thing” It is similar to remembering the almighty mostly when one is in distress. After few more attempts I lost the enthusiasm and spent the rest of the time indoors, watching TV. Later, I came to know through a friend of mine that the city where she lived in had been hit with heavy showers. This had led to disruption of the phone services. It was now three days without any connectivity. It began to fuel my uneasiness of not being connected to her. If I recall well, this was the longest period without any communication between us.
The thoughts about the last discussion we had began to rattle my head. Things weren’t the best among us; we both had shouted at each-other over something and even thought of going apart, not to see each other any more. I couldn’t recall what had infused the spark of quarrel among us. This is another thing that I hate. I know there’s a quarrel and mind starts living in a hazy state but I fail to find any trace of its pedigree.
It’s a fact that it was not the first time we had a fight, but it was the first time that there was a long gap of communication following a fight. This phase was going worse. What if she was still mad at me, what if she agreed to go away? Yet, at times there was a selfish thought that said what if she dint apologize. All kinds of thoughts filled up my vacuum. But they all had the same strong urge to bring back the connectivity with her. The mind and heart said in sync, “Let’s fight again or patch up, but just want to be with her”.
My every attempt to reach her ended up with hearing an automated voice. At one point I wished that it would have been better if she had recorded all these. It was the four days ever since the service went off. There was little news online about the administration trying to restore the services and in few areas the amenities were restored. I began cursing the administration; though they knew that it rained every year during this season, they weren’t responsible. All they needed was money and no work. Well! What else could I have done being so far away under this situation, other than thinking? And to tell the truth I did my best to have all sorts of thoughts :)
It was late in the evening around sunset time, I was trying to relate my life to it (now in a philosophical mood), and I heard the phone ringing. I rushed towards it with a hope that it’s her call but it was a male voice. My friends were enquiring if I wanted to be inside the apartment or if I would be interested to inhale some fresh air by joining them for some games. My head was heavy staying indoors and hence replied that I would join them in 5mins. I was scared about missing her call if incase she had been able to call me up. The moment I stepped out and started to lock the door, the musical sound of phone ringing was heard. I unlocked the door and rushed towards the phone. It was her call, I felt like shouting “eureka eureka”. I heaved a sigh of relief.
It was the feeling of relief as though I had proposed to her at that very moment and she had nodded her head in approval. She said “hey, so what’s up?” I tried to be casual and tried to hide my feelings, even though I wanted to tell her how much pain I had been in all those days without her. I dint. I was being chauvinistic. I enquired about how the city was coping with the crisis and told her that I had heard in the news about the phone lines being disrupted ( trying not to let her that I had been the worst affected as I was the one who lost the count of attempts to reach her) etc. She patiently answered my stupid questions and then whispered “sorry” in a low voice. She began sobbing. Don’t know what happened inside me. I suddenly felt heavy with a storm of withheld emotions bursting out. I became very emotional. I said that I was sorry too. To be frank, I didn’t remember the pedigree of quarrel but it dint matter then as she was with me. It was all that mattered. And yes, the sorry was genuine; I knew I could have been wrong. I slowly explained what state I had been and about all that I had been going through, about all the thoughts that prevailed in my head. And most importantly, without her I was nothing. Miraculously, my head felt light. And then I couldn’t hear anything. I said, “Hello. Hello. Are you there?????” You know with these overseas call, half of the time just goes in exchanging hello//hi, I thought. But this time around, I was relieved and full of happy thoughts.
Her voice brought back the element that was missing all these days, it brought back my smile.

No comments: