When I first saw the poster of this movie near Okalipuram, I frowned at it. The actor was an anchor of a Tv show and I never liked him because of the manner in which he spoke. After a couple of days, I heard couple of girls going ga-ga over this movie and praising the actor, and that he had done a fine job in the movie. That dint impress me much, I heard couple of songs from this movie over FM, and they bowled me over.I've always fallen in love with songs much before I've seen the actual video. The title track from 'Varsham'- Yi Varsham sakshiga, 'Kehna hi kya' (Tamil version)- Bombay, Vaseegara(Minnale) etc to name a few.
The song that I like the most in MMale is 'Anisutide yako indu, neenene nannavalendu' ( I dont know why I feel so today, that you are mine). It has been sung by Sonu and has lovely lyrics written by an eminent and contemporary literary person 'Jayant Kaikini'.
Speaking about the movie, it is not a great movie or a masterpiece or totally different. It is the simplicity that touches you the most. The scenic locales, background score and some very meaningful songs make this movie likeable. But the best part of the movie is the waterfall scene. Most of us would have seen Jog falls, but no one would have ever seen the waterfall from the top of the hill. Apparently, the director has used a remote controlled camera to host the camera on top of the hill and move it around in different angles. Here are excerpts from the director's interview that appeared in 'The Hindu' couple of days back:-
"Jog Falls, though not in full flow, is an integral part of the film. You could call it a metaphor for something beautiful to watch but unattainable. Cinematographer Krishna captures it with hitherto unseen angles from the top, for a change. "I wanted my characters on top. It was a lot of physical labour but worth it in the end. We used a camera with a 20mm lens fixed to a robot called Jimmy Gyp. It worked wonders. I have to thank my entire crew for co-operating."
When you watch this on the wide screen, it is breathtakingly beautiful. Even if one is not interested in watching the movie he or she should go watch it just to see Jog in its full glory but a never seen before view. The sarees worn by the leading lady's mom are all of vivid colors, simple and very attractive. I also felt that the movie title display looked very nice.
There are couple of minus points about the movie like the actor's attire, truck load of ant & elephant jokes, fight sequences and close-up shots of the actress's face when her face looks really bad with all the make-up. Some observations, the actress's dad is wearing a finger ring similiar to the ring that P's would-be is wearing. The guy falling into the drain symbolizes the subtle irony that some girls make their guy's lives equivalent to living in a drain. ( Some may be surprised to see this comment coming from a girl, but then thats the reality in most of the cases, so I dont see any reason why I should deny it. And no relation to the earlier sentence ).
Lyrics:-
anisutide yako indu
neenene nannavalendu
mayada lokadinda nanagagi bandavalendu
aaha entha madura yathane
kollu hudugi omme nannaa hage summane
anisutide yako indu..
suriyuva soneyu sooside ninnade parimala
inyara kanasalu neeenu hodare talamalap
oorna chandra raja hakida ninnaya mogava kandakshana
naa kaidi neene seremane
tappi nanna appiko omme hage summane
anisutide yako indu...
tutigala hoogalali aadada mathina sihiyide
manasina putadali kevala ninna sahi ide
haneyalli bareyada ninna hesara hrudayadi nane korediruve
ningunte idara kalpane
nanna hesara kooge omme..hage summane
anisutide yako indu
Finally, the punch line of the movie is
"Preethi Madhura, Tyaga Amara" meaning
" Love is sweet, Sacrifice is eternal".
I dont agree with this though!
9 comments:
You forgot to mention the real hero of the movie....Devdas the rabbit !!
Awesome , Akshai even you saw the movie ???.
NJ, agreed there are flaws in the movie here and there, but I feel the ending was very realistic and apt with our culture, unless you wanted a happy ending like most of the hindi movies nowadays where the hero elopes with the heroine.
I feel the ending/climax is one of the main reason ppl are seeing the movie multiple times . Otherwise how can you deny that this is the only movie which has run for more than 50 days in PVR with 5 shows housefull ( We gotto be proud of this (y) ) .
I would rather see movies like this than movies like Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna which promotes wrong things.
>>Akshai
The rabbit was cute but then the real hero of the movie acc me was the waterfall and the songs. But the poor rabbit's warnings were never paid heed to by the actor right.Papa Rabbi! sounds like Papa Akshai.:)
>>clangorous
Yeah, the ending is very realistic and I liked it too.
I dint want a happy ending, it would have bombed at the box office if it had one and neither would it have been popular among the classes and the masses.
Movies like KANK appeal to a certain section of the audience nevertheless.
And to me movies are sheer entertainment and not a preacher as such. Incidents and people in life teach you more than a three hour movie can. Tumba serious comment alva? hehehe.
Some statements do strike a chord or is it a cord? A mention of some PJ's by would-be during the movie would have been good too.
Hmm, Good to hear that you liked the ending (y). what you said is right : Incidents and people in life teach you more than a three hour movie can, but I feel these incidents and experiences reflect as movies on screen.
On the contrary, everything about the movie was perfect except the singers ( should have given chance to local singers ), few hindi words like dooba re dooba re which were unecesaary and the tag line ( Hani Hani Prem Kahani )which seems that it was used to attract cosmo kannadigas :P. What I feel is , movies like this should be at its purest form to prove that KFI ( Kannada Film Industry ) is no lesser than any other Film Industry. Kannadigas should learn to standup for their language without trying to please the so called cosomos in the name of national language ( All Languages of India are national languages as per the constitution ).
I am yet to see this movie :-(
>>clangorous
I agree with you about local singers not been given good opportunities. But Sonu has done a fantastic job in Mungaru male and other songs which he has sung in Kannada movies.
My fav local singer is Rajesh Krishnan - "Usire Usire"(Huchha) and "Nooru janmaku nooraaru janmakau" (America America) are some of his best songs so far.
Hmmm, Sonu Nigam might have sung it well, but he has mispronounced lot of words which spoil the language and its meaning. For Ex : If you listen to the song 'Anisuthide... ' carefully the line : 'Naa Khaidi, neene Sere mane ' has been sung as : ' Naa Khaidi , neene Seye mane'. In the 'Kunidhu Kunidhu Baare'song , the female voice ( I guess its Shreya Goshal ..) listen to the line : 'Bicchi HeLalenu'. She has sung in a way which totally gives a different meaning. In the title song : 'Mungaaru MaLeye...',there is a line : 'Dhanyanaade Padedukondu ', Sonu Nigam has sung splitting the words : 'Padedu', 'Kondu' which spoils the meaning.
So keeping all of these facts , songs will get their proper meanings if its sung by people who know the language. And matter of fact, local singers demand 1/10th of the money compared to these so called bollywood singers demand, Difference in amount could be used to improvise technical aspects of the movie. And one more hard and depressing fact is local singers would be used as track singers for these big shots to learn how to sing. Why can't our so called producers use the local singers directly ?. The reasons these buggers give is that people demand for these outside singers (who are alien to our language) and audio companies will not buy the rights if these northie singers are not there. If thats the case , listen to the songs in 'Duniya', they have been sung only by local singers and no where there are mispronounciations.
So bottomline is we kannadigas should learn to promote our local talents who are in abundance and should avoid having false pride of glorifying these alien singers who not only deny the chances to our talents but also spoil the language.
On a final note. Listen to 'Usire, usire' sung by sonu nigam in Huccha , it sounds worse when compared to Rajesh Krishna's version. This clearly proves that local singers would do a better job.
Post a Comment